...notes of some experiments from 2011 beginning
SQL Server 2008 Setup
- packages to install:
- tried and tried, but it didn't work at my old Windows 7 Pro
- worked fine on Windows 2003 Server - even under Virtual Box
- at installer 7th step ("Server configuration"), define "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE" as credentials for 'SQL Server Database Engine' service
- and please, define a good password for sa user and do not forget to enable 'mixed logins'
Some notes on SQL 2008 geometry handling
- use spatial index for optimizing speed - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb934196.aspx . Sample:
myscheme.mytable ( mygeomfield )
BOUNDING_BOX = ( -180, -90, 180, 90 ) )
- when a table has a 'geometry' field, results will also be shown as a map at MS SQL Studio GUI
- OGC SFS methods are invoked from geometry fields. Eg.:
SELECT v.*, v.mygeomfield.STAsText() FROM mytable AS v
Testing connection using OGR
version installed: MS4W 3.0.1 / MapServer 5.6.6
- create a system ODBC DSN
- run an ogrinfo test:
$ ogrinfo -so "MSSQL:dsn=MY_DSN;server=(local);database=DBNAME_HERE;tables=myscheme.mytable;uid=USER_HERE;pwd=PWD_HERE" mytable
- it will output something like:
INFO: Open of `MSSQL:.....'
using driver `MSSQLSpatial' successful.
TO BE CONTINUED here!...